Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Wonderful Surprise



In the course of messing around with an 18 year old vehicle you more often than not run into other issues that are usually bad ones, this case is an exception to that rule...

When I first purchased the Jeep, I noticed that the temperature gauge was not working on the dash cluster...When I brought the Jeep to Goodyear, they assumed it was that the cooling system was clogged and needed to be flushed...After realizing the cooling system was fine, they then told me that it was a wiring issue and would cost all kinds of money to find the problem...
I can;t imagine how much $$$$ I would have paid to figure out this little issue...The picture you see to the right is a yellowish colored fitting that sticks out just to the right of the valve cover at the rear...I didn't much pay attention to it during the course of my project, but then I noticed a little rubber cap connected to the wiring that was hanging out like a lost child looking for his home...I fitted the rubber cap over the exposed fitting and it fit like a glove....I started to wonder.....WHAT COULD THAT BE FOR????!!!!
I referred to the $30 Haynes Repair Manual and looked over all kinds of photos and things that I thought it could be and then I thought----It is obviously partly electrical, but connected to the main engine block....What the HELL?!!! Then I rememberd the Temp. gauge on the dash didn't work....Holy Crap! Did I just fix that....I looked it up in the manual and sure enough, that is what it was!...
I couldn't wait to crank it up and find out if it worked, but I was still searching for those damn botls...After finding them, putting the valve cover back on, I cranked that beast up...I waited in exhausting anticipation for the gauge to move....Here was the result:
IT WORKED!!!!!!!
The engine ran all the way up to operating temperature...This phot was taken before it reached normal temp...The bottom line; however, was that it worked!!! YEAH ME!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment