Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Gaskets! (cont.)



I started the day by waking up and having a big hearty breakfast of biscuits and gravy...Following that I contacted my buds Jay and Kevin to facilitate their assistance...I figured three brains are better than one, unfortunately as far as mechanics go, we added up to maybe a 1/4 of a brain; although now looking back, it may have been the alcohol...Just like Jamie Foxx says; "Blame it on the a a a a a alcohol!"

After breakfast, the boys came over and we went to the auto parts store and decided to change the oil first....The day started out great; got a fantastic deal on five quarts of fully synthetic motor oil and a K&N oil filter...All of it came to $25; I could not have been happier...I grabbed an oil pan and a filter wrench and drove back home.

I decided to take the Jeep to heat the engine up a bit before the oil change in order to get the oil to flow out better...Besides sparking myself up on the starter while trying to remove the oil filter, everything went off without a hitch....My first oil change, 101,900 miles on 04/10/09...

Back to Easter Gaskets!

After the oil change, my beautiful wife Cathi came home and we all decided we should go celebrate with lunch on the water...It was an awesome sunny day out and thought it would be awesome to have lunch and a few drinks...
After lunch we returned home to work on the Jeep...The hood was open and we prepared to begin...Prepare as in have a few more beers! I took hold of the shiny ratchet...Twist, twist, twist, SNAP!!! My dumb@%% snapped off the bolt inside of the housing...There was nothing else to do but continue...After snapping the second bolt, I realized that I was tightening the bolts, not loosening them...Always remember...Righty tighty; lefty loosey...The thing I can't figure out, is

that I got that sequence correct on the beer bottles, but somehow switched it when I got under the hood!

In my anger and frustration, the broken bolts ended up somewhere across the street in the open lots thanks to my buddy Jay, who threw them as far as he could...I did manage; however, to remove the remaining threads from the housing (WHEW!)

Here is a picture of the valve cover after it was removed...I was able to save all but four of the bolts...

No comments:

Post a Comment